I am currently on the road, hitchhiking around the world shooting a documentary, or twelve. I am hoping to inspire those around me through unorthodox, and sometimes extreme methods of living. I have decided that in order to accurately measure and also to enable the best possible footage I will not spend a single dollar on food, shelter, transportation or anything personal for the next full year, and only sustain on what has been generously and spontaneously provided for me.
After witnessing enough negative behaviour in complete strangers to complete strangers to last a lifetime, I have decided to set out to accomplish many things. Prove the world is not such a nasty place full of untrustworthy people, open the minds of society that anything is possible, and that a new friend or opportunity is just a conversation away. When common courtesy seems to have evaded us in 2010, I am setting out in search of the good in the human race. Where have all the good people gone?
I will use my social skills, resourceful thinking and life experiences to accomplish a highly controversial move; travel the globe on less than $500 and breakdown every sterotype and false perception. Its going to be tough sometimes, but I know that what is waiting for me will rock the socks off of everyone reading this. Just wait 'til you see the videos.....

Friday, February 5, 2010

Out of hiding.

Well I haven't been posting, and there's a few reasons for this. Mainly, the producer I mentioned meeting hitching to Toronto and I have been meeting to discuss the potential of this trip and his media ideas. Eric is a veteran in the film and television industry, producing shows, shorts and documentaries which have aired on almost every Canadian media outlet. His own television channel; a youth targeted telvision channel which is a platform for inspiring youth ages 12-22, and the concept of a show following some kid backpacking on a shoestring, more like on dental floss, would be a fantastic idea and would really get the nod. We then sorted that this idea could be moulded and pitched to several other channels, such as OLN, focusing on the adventure, travel aspect, SpikeTV, focus on the crazier side of things, and youth programming, focusing on youth oriented footage. This trip could cater to so many demographics, and have viewers glued, at least he, and surely I felt so. I don't know how many times I've been told ' that's such a cool idea, Id love to hear or see more'. Well, now you might be able to, as "Where in the world is Nate?' is in the initial stages. This trip is something we have not really seen before, and its something we definitely have not seen portrayed like this, on television. And that's just what may well end up happening. The concept for a 'survivorman'-esque television show, following me on my travels was created and pitched. After several meetings of brainstorming and tweaking, we modelled a platform of which to pitch a television show; "Where in the World is Nate?" (it is nothing confirmed, cemented or certain, but we are in the initial development stages) Basically, I would be self-documenting my travels, trials and tribulations obtaining food, shelter and experiences, as I am refusing to spend a single dollar on any of it. That means when I'm hungry, I'm not spending $5 or $2 on food, or $15 on a hostel. If I don't find food, I don't eat. If I don't have someone offer me a place to stay, I set up camp, wherever, whenever. I'm going to sacrifice myself to show how through resourcefulness and the generosity of the people we're too afraid to speak to can allow me to sustain efficiently on the road. If I stock shelves for 2 hrs to get a loaf of bread, or wash the windows to get a slice of pizza, it will be my only means of 'urban survival'. Basically, I need to come up with enough ways, in enough ways to feed myself.
I'm going to edit this post further, and summarize more the details and outline of this trip, but for the most part; I'm hitchhiking around the world with no money, no plan. I'm going to shoot a few videos, tons of footage to mail back to Toronto for editing, and see what I can get myself into, for free. Where in the world is Nate? and how the eff does he do it? WHY does he do it? Its all going to be explained...
Never in a million years did I think I'd have my own tv show, and although I dont, Im pretty darn close. Everything happens for a reason, and even though I cant justify why or how this happened, it did, and Im blessed. Eric is a brilliant, open-minded man, and if this is going to happen, it's with and because of him.
After our last meeting, the night before I planned to leave Toronto, he extended unparalleled generosity. He raided his kitchen cupboards, and after noticing my footwear( a torn pair of nylon Salomon trail runners) declared I needed better shoes, and took me to grab a new pair of boots. I didnt know how to accept this generosity, but I had to, as I did need new boots, and he was saving my little piglets.(they go numb after about 2 hrs). Now my feet are toasty, and dry, but new boots always leaves you with blister, and my feet are in great pain adjusting. Think of Rosie O'Donnells foot crammed into a stiletto. The four blisters on my 2 feet are forcing me to switch up shoes for the day. He also gave me some desperately needed DV tapes(high def ones!) which I am going to try and figure out a way of obtaining on the road.


I've spent the past week or so with a girl I met this summer. It went from 'a girl' to someone I ended up caring very much for. She picked me up hitching, and after several months, we began corresponding after my return from BC. Realizing the rarity of finding someone like her, feelings developed, and it made for a very difficult departure. It's crazy how emotions can change a person. It was an unforgettable week, and I will hold it close for a very long time.

Sorry for my lack of sarcasm and wit in this, its early, I'm starving and my mixed emotions don't have me in a joking mood, yet.