I am currently on the road, hitchhiking around the world shooting a documentary, or twelve. I am hoping to inspire those around me through unorthodox, and sometimes extreme methods of living. I have decided that in order to accurately measure and also to enable the best possible footage I will not spend a single dollar on food, shelter, transportation or anything personal for the next full year, and only sustain on what has been generously and spontaneously provided for me.
After witnessing enough negative behaviour in complete strangers to complete strangers to last a lifetime, I have decided to set out to accomplish many things. Prove the world is not such a nasty place full of untrustworthy people, open the minds of society that anything is possible, and that a new friend or opportunity is just a conversation away. When common courtesy seems to have evaded us in 2010, I am setting out in search of the good in the human race. Where have all the good people gone?
I will use my social skills, resourceful thinking and life experiences to accomplish a highly controversial move; travel the globe on less than $500 and breakdown every sterotype and false perception. Its going to be tough sometimes, but I know that what is waiting for me will rock the socks off of everyone reading this. Just wait 'til you see the videos.....

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tau Kappa Epsilon Part Three

Waking in the sorority house was different. The bed was comfy, the company was nice, the walls pink, but it was something odd. I dont know quite what it was, but definately odd. Lauren had to leave early to head back to Jersey, so it made for an abrupt wake up. It was kind of awkward too. We walked down the grand staircase, past all of the previous sister photos, and flower arrangements. It was very neatly decorated, and again, met the sterotype to a T. After stepping out into the crisp morning air, we gave eachother a hug, well wishes and parted. It was pretty awkward, I wont lie. I shuffled my feet the few houses down to the boys' house, and of course it was locked, and since it was 9am, of course not a chance a single one was awake. After what seemed like 10 minutes of ringing the doorbell, I gave up, and improvised. Still half in the bag, I walked up the snowboard ramp. The roof was just out of my reach so I grabbed a plastic chair from another frat house. Standing on it I was able to reach some icy snow and pull myself up, triggering the party in my stomach. I trudged to the window, and had to jump as high as I could, and hoist myslef up. It was not how I intended to start the morning, but hey, when in Rome, right?
Of course everyone was still sleeping, and you need a stick of dynamite to wake Scrapper up so I just sat in the beer soaked sofa in the hallway, and watched the footage from last night. It was pretty funny stuff. Finally Squid was up, and I passed out on his couch for a few hours. Head was beating like a hammer. The boys started stirring, and before long, everyone was up. I went to breakfast with Ryan, Zac and Brydges. Caf food when hungover=awesomeness. No, seriously. Its beyond feel good, its a chemical thing. After pouring so much fizzy keg beer down the hatch, its an absorbant, as well as a release of fats and sugars the body is now lacking. Its not that Im all bio-intelligent, just happened to catch a Bill Nye recently.
The plan was to hitch out after breaky, but again, I was too easily convinced to stay until Sunday. Ryan told me he had a car off campus, and could take me to Delaware if I waited, and that there was also a sorority party at West Chester University. Although this may have been the time I should have just counted my blessings and carried on, as 3 days in one place is far beyond my policies, I guess the boys were like a home away from home, and I couldnt refuse one more night.
After the what was the biggest Omelette Ive ever had, Brydges had to head home to South Philly, and Duncan was going to drive him. A few of us decided we would head into the city, and they would show me some cool stuff. Duncan, Daddy, Brydges and I went out in Dunc's Bimmer. We went down near the stadiums, checked out some of the neighbourhoods, and they showed me what was the good and bad sides of Philadelphia. They asked if I had had a cheesesteak yet, and although I had that greasy pile of mystery meat upstate, I told them no. They said we were to head down to Geno's the most authentic and famous Philly cheesesteak joints in the city. As we made our way down the narrow, unplowed streets, witnessing what seemed to be people's first snow experiences, we finally made our way to the iconic spot. A massive sign, and in typical Philly fashion; full of signed photos, and Police commemoration decorated the world famous spot. Duncan very kindly grabbed me a steak, and I can now say I have had an authentic Philly sandwich. The thing was loaded with seared steak, topped with melted cheddar and served on a soft yet chewy bun. Wrapped tight, the thing was awesome. So filling, or should I say Philling...(its still early as I write this dont judge)
In front of the legendary Geno's!

All philled up, Daddy, Duncan and I dropped Brydges off and headed back to campus. It was funny seeing people use a shovel on their windshield like it was the sidewalk. We also saw some idiot back violently into a car not twice, but three times.

Daddy had purchased a 'Philly' (Ill let you urban dictionary that, as I already talk too much about it) and he twisted up a baseball bat for Duncan and I. We vegged on the couch, and watched Eastbound and Down. Such a good way to kill of the previous punishment on the liver. We were dozing on and off, and finally I went to take a hot shower to clear my head. Ryan called one of the boys to get to me, and let me know there was a party at WCU we were to attend. Contiuing with the theme of going with the flow, I agreed and they picked me up right after I got my laundry done. Oh and a thing about the laundry. The schemeing geniuses they are rigged the coin laundry machines with straws, and get free wash and drys all semester long. A skill I was taught to take with me on the road. Cheers lads.

Ryan, Ryan and Zac came just after nightfall to grab me and take me down the road to West Chester U. It was a much bigger campus, and they knew a few girls down there. After the strict sign in policy, I was let in without student ID, and we went to chill in one of the girls' rooms while they got ready. Again, they were 'sisters' and the rooms were evident of this. Plastered in photos and Greek letters, the girls were the product of the equivalent to the boys. I think being a frat guy would be 10x more fun, as they party. It seems the girls do lame arts and crafts, play with their hair and talk about which boy they want that night. Well, I guess the boys do the same; but crafts consist of blunt rolling, and they too play with their hair, and talk about which girl they're gonna 'bang'. We walked to another all girl house for pre drinks, and they were really nice, although more ditsy than this girl(remember this?). They put on some more of their awful music, and we pounded down some Vodka shots. Normally this would have had me acting like a bullemic model, but I managed to hold it down, thanks to the Cranberry chaser. We totally lost track of time thanks to Prince Igor and the serenades from Chris Brown. We needed booze, so I went to the shoppe next door, being as that I was the only one older than 21, and I could not have predicted what happened next. The manager refused my passport, (!!!!!!) because he cant tell if its fake or not. Well, seeing as this is completely insane and unheard of, I flipped out. It was the first time I was legitimately angry at someone, and I let him know. I cussed him out proper in front of all the onlookers, and he wasnt budging. There is ONE, I repeat, ONE document that is recognized as internationally secure, accepeted and almost entirely unforgable. He wouldnt take my passport, but he was accepting phony drivers licenses all night long. I was LIVID. I then went to the pizza shoppe next door and asked a dude who looked too old to be on campus if he could help me out, and he said he doesnt talk to non-Americans. Well lets just say I had to refrain myslef and unclench my fists. Ignorance is everywhere, so I had to keep calm and carry on, as the saying goes. I didnt totally cool out, and for the rest of the night was completely shocked that some uneducated barkeep couldnt use his discretion and see my proper IDs were legit. The steam coming from my ears could have powered a freight train. Dry out of booze, we headed to the keggar. Of course sidewalks werent plowed, and the girls in heels were walking like Bambi on ice. It was a terrible sight, and when one girl slurred "Canada is like, known for snow, like, right?" I couldnt take any more ignorance. I cant beleive how many Americans dont know a single fucking thing about the country that shares the largest international land border, and the closest thing to their modern culture and history. As I was walking in the street, the only walkable surface in what seemed the entire state, people were staring at me like a mad man. One of the Ryans kept telling me to watch out like I was near death, but I wasnt even close to the cars passing. I guess they just arent used to winters in Canada, where jaywalking is the new curling. Eh?
We finally made it to the party, only to have it shut down as the kegs were also dry. The freezing temperatures and incompetant girls made for a funny situation, and by funny, I mean friggen frustrating.
We stumbled back to the original dorms, and put on some warm clothes and ordered a butt ton of pizza. By the time it came, I was so tired I could only put down one slice. By the way, if you go to the States, dont order Papa John's. Despite being everywhere, it sucks lemons. Expired lemons.
Zac's 'hookup' offered me her bed, and I passed out almost immediately. I guess it was a good night, but I think it was one night too many, and I was itching to get back on the road.

I passed out clothes on, half drunk, and fell asleep in no time.

As much as I had enjoyed myslef, and made some new friends I will be keeping in touch with, it was time to leave.



____
The internet is being wonky, Ill post up a bunch of pics with this one later on.