I am currently on the road, hitchhiking around the world shooting a documentary, or twelve. I am hoping to inspire those around me through unorthodox, and sometimes extreme methods of living. I have decided that in order to accurately measure and also to enable the best possible footage I will not spend a single dollar on food, shelter, transportation or anything personal for the next full year, and only sustain on what has been generously and spontaneously provided for me.
After witnessing enough negative behaviour in complete strangers to complete strangers to last a lifetime, I have decided to set out to accomplish many things. Prove the world is not such a nasty place full of untrustworthy people, open the minds of society that anything is possible, and that a new friend or opportunity is just a conversation away. When common courtesy seems to have evaded us in 2010, I am setting out in search of the good in the human race. Where have all the good people gone?
I will use my social skills, resourceful thinking and life experiences to accomplish a highly controversial move; travel the globe on less than $500 and breakdown every sterotype and false perception. Its going to be tough sometimes, but I know that what is waiting for me will rock the socks off of everyone reading this. Just wait 'til you see the videos.....

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cant sleep for the life of me. So, I blog.

I haven't posted much in the past couple days, as Ive been busy at work, getting the last possible funds which means long days and early mornings. Ive also been fine tuning details.
I'm also at a very crucial crossroads....I'm continuously fighting an internal battle concerning my preparations for this trip...I'm at the point, like most anxious travellers to just go. I don't have a flight booked, I don't have a planned itinerary, I could technically leave after this post. The only thing preventing me is money(isn't that always the case?) I'm working my little buns off(by the way its been renovating a busy pub in the Rideau Centre...it pays well, cash and under the table, just what I needed) and am almost ready to go. I just made a big purchase, on a new camera body, but I needed it. Now I just need a bunch of DV tapes, a small, but big portable hard rive and a card reader, to make my life easier.
I was planning to save at least 1500(still peanuts), but that idea is gone, as it would take me at least 10 more days, starting at zero. Instead of allowing myself the financial stability of a safety net(emergency funds, borders, bribes, flights, food etc) I'm going to donate my earnings to the Red Cross, Haiti relief fund. As much as I need the money to survive, they need it 100x more. How can I shoot a documentary on the good of humanity, without considering this? It will be the catalyst to start my trip.
After my US border concerns, I did my homework, and think I should be fine. I will be hiding my credentials and anything declaring my media positions, as I do not at all want to buy a visa. Other than that, I have nothing to hide, the proper papers and ID, and I think my story will suffice. I thought about conjuring up a story that I'm visiting someone, or going to a concert or something, but those Nazi border patrol cops record everything, make you wait 20 mins, and come back to use it against you in your own lies. I'm going to tell them my plans, if they say no dice, Ill hitch to the next crossing. I'm preparing to deal with some of the worst people under the sun...I think I can handle the second worst; American Authority.....
anyways, off to work, more to come tonight. It's crunch time!