I am currently on the road, hitchhiking around the world shooting a documentary, or twelve. I am hoping to inspire those around me through unorthodox, and sometimes extreme methods of living. I have decided that in order to accurately measure and also to enable the best possible footage I will not spend a single dollar on food, shelter, transportation or anything personal for the next full year, and only sustain on what has been generously and spontaneously provided for me.
After witnessing enough negative behaviour in complete strangers to complete strangers to last a lifetime, I have decided to set out to accomplish many things. Prove the world is not such a nasty place full of untrustworthy people, open the minds of society that anything is possible, and that a new friend or opportunity is just a conversation away. When common courtesy seems to have evaded us in 2010, I am setting out in search of the good in the human race. Where have all the good people gone?
I will use my social skills, resourceful thinking and life experiences to accomplish a highly controversial move; travel the globe on less than $500 and breakdown every sterotype and false perception. Its going to be tough sometimes, but I know that what is waiting for me will rock the socks off of everyone reading this. Just wait 'til you see the videos.....

Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Prodigal Update.

Ok, so not only have I been MIA, and not keeping with the blog, my last two posts were invisible. Great.
Anyways, HAPPY NEW YEAR, its 2010, and its going to be a good year. I can feel it in me bones.


Well sadly my location has not changed much since my last post. I am still in Ottawa, and I am still unsure of my contract in Rwanda. My co-ordinator and contact is still on holidays in Europe, and the last email I received said we still werent sure on the plot location. These things take time, and Im aware of this, however the mental wait is just getting worse.

This summer, my two travelling mates and I were headed for Australia and New Zealand for several months. Well, they went, ...treeplanting, cherry picking, hitchhiking, all that cool stuff. Oh and for the holiday period we had planned to hitch a yacht to Fiji, and spend it in Vanuatu. I KNOW!. I was ready to go, and then I got an email from the NGO saying I needed to call them urgently. The Rwandan Project had just been set up, and they wanted me for it. It was an offer I couldnt refuse. I did hesitate over some of the details, as it would be a slightly dodgy contract, but I knew I had to go. No tropical island or laid back lifestyle could top my work in Africa. I never really second guessed it.
We made our way back from the Okanagan and they flew to Sydney on the same day my flights were BOOKED and paid for to Kigali, Nov 9.
Its now Jan 3, 2010 and Im still stuck in cold, miserable Canada. Quite frustrated.
The only thing is, I cant be, because as I said, these things take time. Major projects, in conjunction with partnering governments can be very finicky, as I am learning.
The nature of the situation as also left me waiting on a day-to-day basis, so Ive opted not to find work in Ottawa while Im here, rather prepare and gather possible endeavours during the contract. And my millions are running out....

I did have a lovely Christmas however. I spent it with a very close new friend, who was actually one of the girls who picked me up hitchhiking the day we left for BC, several months ago. We were both in similar boats, and decided we would spend the holidays together. You may raise a brow, but it was my best Christmas yet.
Travelling, you meet all kinds of people, and almost every one of them is someone you can hold very close to you. The hands people are willing to extend to someone from another place is something you cannot find as a local. I dont think it exists. Ive managed to find some pretty amazing people along my travels, and it is only going to grow exponentially.

Example; I recently hitched (in -20C) to Toronto. I had the CEO of a major multinational pick me up in his Range Rover. He was Colin Farrells cousin, and he proved it. I also had an epic trip with him, thats a future entry I can guarantee you wont beleive.....
On the way home, a retired superstar MMA fighter picked me up. He was from Mexico, and showed me Youtube videos of him winning several fights, and training with some of the biggest names, on his iPhone. He told me some crazy life stories, and invited me to train for free with him whenever I wanted at the gym he owned in town...
I promised to set up an interview with him for one of my magazines, and he was thrilled. He then treated me as a close personal friend, and referred me to one of his principle Olympic sponsors, which turned out to be Nike. Im waiting on a phone call. Im not saying Im going to get a shoe deal, but who knows, the email was promising. The meet certainly wouldnt have happened if not for being on the road.

See the world is our oyster.


All for right now, I have several articles and entires to put up. Ill be up all night, and Im going to get this gosh darn blog rolling again.

P.s. I have a few ideas that are going to rock the socks of the entire universe.......

Pon de Floor.