I am currently on the road, hitchhiking around the world shooting a documentary, or twelve. I am hoping to inspire those around me through unorthodox, and sometimes extreme methods of living. I have decided that in order to accurately measure and also to enable the best possible footage I will not spend a single dollar on food, shelter, transportation or anything personal for the next full year, and only sustain on what has been generously and spontaneously provided for me.
After witnessing enough negative behaviour in complete strangers to complete strangers to last a lifetime, I have decided to set out to accomplish many things. Prove the world is not such a nasty place full of untrustworthy people, open the minds of society that anything is possible, and that a new friend or opportunity is just a conversation away. When common courtesy seems to have evaded us in 2010, I am setting out in search of the good in the human race. Where have all the good people gone?
I will use my social skills, resourceful thinking and life experiences to accomplish a highly controversial move; travel the globe on less than $500 and breakdown every sterotype and false perception. Its going to be tough sometimes, but I know that what is waiting for me will rock the socks off of everyone reading this. Just wait 'til you see the videos.....

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My day off; wasted.

So I woke at my normal time of 620am, and like usual, I did not feel like moving let alone working. I then decided I was going to call in, as at the time sleep was more important than making money. I had to be productive today, as my time is limited, and working hours are precious, no matter how bad the pillowface is. Right after breakfast, I went to the Ottawa Citizen to meet with the travel editor, and discuss the possibility of a features column to cover my progress, and provide me with a good bit of public awareness. Sadly, I was told they did not have a budget that could accommodate such plans, so I'm looking at the alternative of an online blog with them. Id be lying to say it wasn't frustrating; it definitely was, as I was hoping they would give me the green light. Salt was aggressively rubbed in the wound, when on the way home, I grabbed a complimentary paper, only to open the travel section and see their feature article about vacationing in Winnipeg. I'm telling them I'm hitching around the world, shooting a video and willing to write for free, and they need to pay their writers to print holidays in Manitoba, and the 8,627,784th article about a Dominican resort. Fuel to the fire, cheers. I then went to the A-channel news headquarters and tried to speak with the head of HR and Marketing. He was in a meeting, so I'm speaking with him tomorrow.
On the way home, I stopped at the Red Cross, which was long overdue. After everything Ive been talking about, my time would still be infinitely put to better use in Haiti, than any personal trip. I spoke with the head of HR who is referring my resume to their project coordinator. It would be a left-turn from my invested plans, but I wouldn’t think twice.
I then ran into two veteran photographers who were evidently long time professionals, and extremely experienced in the industry. I spoke to them about my plans, and the minute they found out I was planning to hitch across the US border, the mood almost turned sour. They more or less said ‘good luck kid’ as the TSA and Border Police are so strict now, Ill have to totally change my game plan at the crossing. Thank you Mr Shoebomber, the Nigerian Xmas Plotter, I'm forever in debt to our homies the al-Qaeda, as they have made Americans and travelling in America so tolerant. (smell the sarcasm) It will be a bit difficult, but Im going to go to the Embassy tomorrow, and I'll sort out the deal-eo. Its just going to make it an adventure from Day1. (I plan to cross that border the first day.)
For the most part, it wasn’t a very productive day, as I ended up coming home only to write my eyes dry on proposals and business plans. Well, maybe , I guess maybe it kinda was. I'm still not close to where I want to be, but I'm going to keep plugging for the next few hours. The Internet is down, so I cant find anything cool to post in the meantime…