I am currently on the road, hitchhiking around the world shooting a documentary, or twelve. I am hoping to inspire those around me through unorthodox, and sometimes extreme methods of living. I have decided that in order to accurately measure and also to enable the best possible footage I will not spend a single dollar on food, shelter, transportation or anything personal for the next full year, and only sustain on what has been generously and spontaneously provided for me.
After witnessing enough negative behaviour in complete strangers to complete strangers to last a lifetime, I have decided to set out to accomplish many things. Prove the world is not such a nasty place full of untrustworthy people, open the minds of society that anything is possible, and that a new friend or opportunity is just a conversation away. When common courtesy seems to have evaded us in 2010, I am setting out in search of the good in the human race. Where have all the good people gone?
I will use my social skills, resourceful thinking and life experiences to accomplish a highly controversial move; travel the globe on less than $500 and breakdown every sterotype and false perception. Its going to be tough sometimes, but I know that what is waiting for me will rock the socks off of everyone reading this. Just wait 'til you see the videos.....

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ze First Update

So one of the things I was hoping to accomplish was to allow travellers to utilize my blog as a platform of filtered, useful information. There are buttloads of websites out there that are great travel resources, but are catering to the general public. Well its safe to say the general public does not know how to travel, and need these sites, so that they know to fold their underwear properly, and remember how important it is to water the plants.
But there arent nearly as many online resources for avid, off-the-map style travellers. There are a few online communities, which are fantastic places to get the low-down on what you need, but I find there is still something missing. I personally believe its always best to just throw yourself out there and do it, but thats just me.

Im going to continue using Thumbward Bound as a hitchhiking specific blog, with stories and resources, but Im going to use this one as a resource for travellers, or the curious to read and learn about how to actually use the 'world as your oyster', along with following my travels and whatever trouble I find myslef in. And I have a funny way of finding myslef in trouble. Alot.


Example, did you know the TSA(Transportation Security Administration; the governing security body of American flights and customs.) forbids Gel insoles for your shoes on a flight? Bet you didnt know that, smuggler.

Also, this past month was awful for travellers, as adolescent Africans linked with al-Qaeda decided to bring a lil' bomberoo onto the plane in his boxers and a vodka soaked ex-socialite wench stormed pilot cabins in a ridonkulous outburst. Nigeran kid labelled terrorist, beaten, thrown in jail for a million eternities. Bitter, divorced billionaire shrew gets a chance to explain herslef on celebrity TV while a crew of staff attend to her every shrieking demands. I know I know, its a twisted world.
The kid deserved to go to jail, and have what he endured happen, he did try to explode a small device on a passenger inter-border flight on Christmas Day in his Hanes, for Pete's sake.
But the tyrade displayed by Ms. Trump, currently enjoying her fourth marriage to a man half her age, was provoked by innocent children playing on the plane. Yes, kids on planes can be as bad as Sammy J and the mofo'ing snakes, but she stormed the cabin(the biggest no-no) and barked obscenities to the kids and their families. "First class this, and First class that". Suck it Ivana, noone cares. Park your behind in your Prada and shut the eff up. Of course you werent charged, but everyone else in your fine country would have had quite a different outcome.
Also, I just found that a young woman travelling had been raped in England, after she set up a meet from couchsurfing.com It happened back in October, but its still not kosher. Not only is this just one of the worst things Ive recently heard, its a huge damper on the rest of the community. I frequent the site, and I know alot of people who use it regualrly as well, and hearing of things like this is nightmarish. Some f*cked, piece of scum gained the trust of a poor, alone girl in a new country and eventually did the worst thing I think humans can do.

On a lighter note, my other discoveries online have been positive, and among epic proportions.
Ill be sharing them with you, once I compile the links and adjoining captions.

Give me like 30 mins.

Im a dork.