I am currently on the road, hitchhiking around the world shooting a documentary, or twelve. I am hoping to inspire those around me through unorthodox, and sometimes extreme methods of living. I have decided that in order to accurately measure and also to enable the best possible footage I will not spend a single dollar on food, shelter, transportation or anything personal for the next full year, and only sustain on what has been generously and spontaneously provided for me.
After witnessing enough negative behaviour in complete strangers to complete strangers to last a lifetime, I have decided to set out to accomplish many things. Prove the world is not such a nasty place full of untrustworthy people, open the minds of society that anything is possible, and that a new friend or opportunity is just a conversation away. When common courtesy seems to have evaded us in 2010, I am setting out in search of the good in the human race. Where have all the good people gone?
I will use my social skills, resourceful thinking and life experiences to accomplish a highly controversial move; travel the globe on less than $500 and breakdown every sterotype and false perception. Its going to be tough sometimes, but I know that what is waiting for me will rock the socks off of everyone reading this. Just wait 'til you see the videos.....

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ze Plan.

It looks like everything is almost set. I have all the equipment I need(although the thousands of dollars worth of gear will be stolen the moment I step foot into Mexico), and the right tools and resources I feel necessary to ensure my success.
Basically, I think Ive stumbled on enough websites, read enough books, and scoured enough messaging boards now to make sure I don't get chopped up so my loverly kidneys can be sold on the Black Market, or initiated for life into a Guatemalan gang. Ive been reading extensively on hitching, international travel, dangers, kidnappings, routes, street gangs, corrupt police and governments, diseases, do's and don'ts, wildlife, survival techniques, languages, foreign policies etc. Ive been compiling a book together of important resources; think of it as the 'shit hits the fan go-to book'.
Its starting to gather as this; I'm departing from Ottawa, hitching north in Quebec to see a cousin for a few days. I then hitch to Toronto, where I will spend my last two days in Canada for a very long time, with a close friend. I then leave Toronto and Canada, and will chose my USA entry crossing closer to the day. There are several into New York State. Hitching the US should be fun. I will proceed south to NYC, spend a day, then continue to Boston, Philadelphia and further south down the East Coast. I will continue through Myrtle Beach, and eventually into Florida. Its here I will decide if I'm hitching Southwest to rural Mexico. I'm not still 100% on Mexico, as its quite unpredictable. I do have several contacts in the country, and in Mexico City, but if I can avoid early conflict, I will. That being said, I'm almost definitely going to find myself there, so like I mentioned; no plans. If I go from Miami, where I will spend a few days, I will hitch my boat to the Caribbean. I can easily find my way out this way. If not, I can get a boat from Cozumel, Mexico, or continue south through Central America. I have not been, and need to experience this amazing group of countries. I can easily find boats from Panama City, and the canal.(only legal issues a concern here). The original plan was to push south through to the Tiera del Fuego, Chile and Argentina. As much as I want to experience South America on the beginning of the journey, if I plan to attend the World Cup in South Africa, June and July, I will have to potentially cut out this leg. Instead, it will most likely be a boat transfer trip through the Caribbean, and will contain Blue Water sailing here, my first experience. I will then hopefully get my boat to Thailand, or another South Pacific Asian country, as if I go to Australia, they have some strict rules for 'boat people'. These boats I'm referring to are private yachts and sailboats, but I also have the possibility of obtaining work on a cargo ship. Still weighing the options, most likely to be a game-time decision. From Asia, its straight hitchhiking to Africa, although if time becomes an issue, I will cheat and grab a boat from India or something to South Africa.

So....what do you think??